Monday, January 12, 2009

My first post

Well, I never thought I'd be into quilting, much less starting a blog about it! I was once a globe-trotting marketing manager, circling the globe several times a year for work, never in one place long enough to even think about a quilt, much less start one. My mom always liked quilting, and after we kids left home, had devoted more and more time to her hobby. But her encouragement to take up the 'art' only made me swear never to like it... I always considered quilting to be an old lady craft! But here I am, a fabric-obsessed thirty-something, fantasising about all the quilts i'm going to one day find time to make... and I certainly don't consider myself OLD! Not yet, anyway.
So how did this happen? My husband, A, bought me a sewing machine for my birthday last year. I had big plans to start making my own clothes, but had no clue where to start. But as I was newly pregnant with our first child, I decided I would make a baby quilt. A actually helped me pick out the fabric and I got busy 'fussy-cutting' (though I had no idea at the time there was such a term) little Japanese dolls out for my first quilt.

Then I found out my best friend was also pregnant, so I got to work picking out gender-neutral fabric for her baby, and made this railfence quilt.


Then my husband's sister-in-law fell pregnant, and I decided to make her expected boy a baby quilt...


And voila - I was hooked!

1 comment:

  1. welcome to the blogging world! i love your rail fences (especially your gender neutral one--It seems so calm and soothing!)

    ReplyDelete