Wednesday, March 11, 2009

More scrappy pinwheel blocks

Yesterday was a sewing day, and I managed to get a stack of blocks done for my scrappy pinwheel quilt. To be honest, I am so over pinwheels - having made more than 200 of these (I have lost track of how many are completed... must do a count soon.) I am really bored with making them. That said, I'm still trying to finish this queen size quilt as planned... (But doubt I will ever make another pinwheel after this quilt!!!)

Here is a stack of blocks, in a variety of stages of readiness - half blocks, quarter blocks and initial patterned and white blocks ready to sew and cut.
block stacks



Chain piecing the squares.
chain piecing blocks


I hate pinning anything, and try to avoid it whenever possible. However, I do pin the half blocks together to make sure I get my points right in the middle of the pinwheel. I just stick a pin straight through the points of both sides like this:
lining up points 1

lining up points 2

I've found it useful to remove the storage tray on my machine when sewing the half-blocks together. This allows me to sew right up to the vertical pin, keeping the pin nice and straight, and pull it out at the last minute.
sewing block


Pile of corners cut from the halfsquare triangles - for some reason, I don't throw these away and I have been saving these in a jar...
corners

jar of corners



And finally - yesterday's 32 blocks!
pinwheel blocks

close-up:
Close-up of pinwheels

1 comment:

  1. those little pinwheels are great!!! i love that you are saving even the teeny tiny triangles in a jar. that's cute. :)

    ReplyDelete